Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Ted Videos - Style, Story Lab

Videos

The power of creative constraint:

I liked this video because I had never thought about constraints as being something positive before. This took something that I used to view as being very negative and put a positive spin on it. Constraints can actually be so beneficial because they force us to expand our knowledge and think of alternative solutions to an issue. If we never faced constraints that we were forced to find ways to overcome, we would never have come up with a lot of our more beneficial ideas that we have today.

What makes a hero:

I liked this video because this is a topic that I have visited in the past. I think it is a very interesting concept that I am always amazed goes so unnoticed. I think that it is interesting because it tells us a lot about human beings. It tells us that we like this cycle that is being told in these stories regardless of who the main character is. We enjoy this plot so much that we can watch it over and over again without getting tired of it. It also says a lot about how creative writers are. The fact that they can take these very similar storylines but somehow keep us on the edge of our seats the whole time proves that they were creative enough with their input to the story that it almost tricked us into believing that we had never heard this story before.

Examples of modern day fictional heroes
Source: Video



The pleasure of poetic pattern:

I liked this video a lot because it started with a physiological reference that really drew me into what it was discussing. It talked about how we are innately intrigued by patterns because we are made up of patterns and reputations. Our heart beat and our breath has pattern. We also see repetition in everything we do from letters in the words we use to the words that we use in our language! So cool to draw from anatomical knowledge and relate it to writing somehow.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...