Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Week 14 Reading Notes - Part B Inayat. Twenty Jataka Tales.

The Patient Buffalo

I really liked this story because it presented a new moral that I hadn't seen in the other stories. There once was a buffalo and he is standing peacefully in the shade and day after day a monkey comes and  tries to provoke him. It seems like nothing ever works to get a rise out of the buffalo. The monkey tries day in and day out and the buffalo ignores him and remains calm. One day a fairy comes to tell the buffalo about how strong he is and if he wanted to he could teach the monkey a lesson. The buffalo instead replies that why should he? The monkey is weaker than he is and does not have much brains so it wouldn't be fair. I think this tells a very important message about how just because we can do something doesn't mean that we should do something.

Story
The buffalo and the monkey
Source: Inayat. Twenty Jataka Tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...