Saturday, February 2, 2019

Topic Research

The topic that continues to interest me the most seems to be stories surrounding animals, whether they be natural or supernatural. My favorite organization of these stories so far has been in the book Pashu: Animal Tales from Hindu Mythology. I really like how the stories are organized by type of animal because then they are easier to compare and contrast. I checked this book out at Bizzell this weekend so I plan on using one of the stories it has. 

https://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2014/06/overview-pattanaik-pashu.html


1) Manu

This is a really sweet story about the first human being who had compassion for a tiny fish. The tiny fish ends up saving the man. It is also an interesting parallel to the story of Noah's Ark in the bible so that is also kind of cool. 

2) Jaimini

This is an interesting story about four parrot eggs that fall to the ground when a pregnant parrot flies over a battle field and an arrow hits her belly. The eggs survive when a bell covers them. They learn many things from the hearts and minds of the warriors that had been around them and they are blessed and told to share their wisdom with the world. 

3) Shibi

This is a story about understanding the cycle of nature and how it is wrong to interfere with the circle of life. I really liked it's message!

4) Jatayu tries to save Sita

I liked reading more about this story because I just read it last week. This book mentioned how it is an important lesson about sacrificing ones own life to save one unrelated to him which I think is a very beautiful message. 

5) Kamadhenu

I like this story because it has a good message about greediness. 

6) No Dogs in Heaven

This has been my favorite story so far. It is about considering the needs of others.

Cover of Pashu
Source: https://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2014/06/overview-pattanaik-pashu.html








No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...