Saturday, February 2, 2019

Feedback Strategies

1) Try Feedforward instead of Feedback
http://www.marshallgoldsmith.com/articles/try-feedforward-instead-feedback/

I really liked this article because it took a very interesting approach to feedback that I had never heard about before. It made an interesting point that most of the feedback we hear focuses on the past and what errors we made. Instead we should try to make an effort to focus on all of the possibilities, positives and things we would rather see in the future! I think instantly turns a situation that could be viewed at as negative by the person being critiqued, into a positive situation. This makes the person you are critiquing feel more confident and prepared for the future.

2) The Difference Between Praise and Feedback
https://www.kqed.org/mindshift/34778/the-difference-between-praise-and-feedback

This was a fun article to read because it made me rethink a lot of the ways that I normally give people feedback. I have always liked to give very positive feedback and I think that oftentimes I probably overpraise the person who I am critiquing. This not only devalues the praise I give, it can negatively impact the person that I am trying to help. It is more important to give more detail oriented feedback, like instead of saying "great job!" which someone has probably heard hundreds of times. Recognize what hard work lead them to the moment where they achieved that feat. Value the work that it took to get to that moment more than the moment itself!

Feedback in it's simplest form
Source: Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...