Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Reading Notes - Sita Sings the Blues - Part A

This was an amazing (and very entertaining) retelling of the Ramayana. I appreciated a lot of things about it. For one, it was relieving to hear that other people struggle with the names and small details about the Ramayana. Also, their humor with some of the aspects of the story. For instance, their frustration with certain characters decisions reminded me of how I felt when I first read the story. I also liked the parallels between the modern story occurring in New York and India. It helped me see different perspectives that I could relate back to the Ramayana. It also made me feel so good about myself when I was able to remember what happens next in the story before they said it. Also, when they were discussing how they thought Rama's dad died when Rama left and I knew he hadn't died at that point.

The intermittent songs sung by Sita were also great because they gave me a deeper view into how Sita was impacted by each decision made by Rama. I also thought it was a great representation of how blinded by love she was and how "unconditional" her love was like one of  the narrators said. Overall, it felt extremely accurate to the original story while still putting a fun entertaining twist on it. This has been one of my favorite assignments so far and actually made me laugh out loud a couple times when the narrators were discussing things amongst themselves.


screenshot during one of the songs Sita sings in Sita Sings the Blues
Source: http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/week-1-of-1-paleys-sita-sings-blues-b.html

Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...