Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Reading Notes - Sita Sings the Blues - Part B

In this second part of the movie, we watch as Dave emails Nina and breaks up with her and this obviously makes her very sad. I am kind of happy because Dave is the worst. There is a part where Sita tells Rama that she is pregnant and he is initially happy with the news. This part was interesting to me because in the public domain version that I read it sounded more like Sita was banished and Rama didn't know she was pregnant until he met his sons many years later. It made it even worse that he banished her because she's pregnant...with his sons...but yeah. I also don't remember reading about Sita wanting to end her life but she doesn't because she is carrying Rama's children. Which is really sad and adds to the depth of her life while she is banished. I don't think the original version I read went very far into that.

Throughout this whole movie it is impressive how many times Sita has different topics to sing about, almost all of them being about how she is in a bad situation because of something Rama has done. I think the narrator did a great job explaining her motives behind this by simply explaining that's what unconditional love means. Even though it doesn't make sense and Sita's life is really hard because of things out of her control, she never blames Rama for any of her problems. Even though they are almost all his fault.


screenshot from when Rama meets his sons for the first time
Source:Rama Meets His Sons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...