Friday, February 15, 2019

Week 5 Story - Nina and Fred

Nina had just been promoted at work, she was having the best day. 

Before the email. 

A million thoughts ran through her mind at once as she contemplated what this meant for her future. Five years felt so meaningless all of a sudden. Her anniversary with Dave was coming up in less than a month, where did it all go wrong. 

She closed her computer and walked over to the bed where she found her and Dave's cat-
or just her cat now, she thought. She laid down next to the cat.

"Lexi, what are we going to do?" she asked the cat who lazily rolled over and looked at her with sleepy eyes and meowed. 

"I can't be in here right now," Nina said, "everything reminds me of him. I'm going for a walk."

Nina grabbed her keys and walked out the door. Not really sure where she was heading, she ended up at the park close to her apartment. She sat on a bench in the sun and watched people walk by. 

This isn't the end of the world, she thought to herself. Maybe this could be a good thing. She had been wanting to move to a smaller town anyways, but Dave always shut down the idea when she brought it up. She had also always wanted to get a dog as a friend for Lexi and Dave also always shut that idea down. The more she thought about it, the more Nina realized that there were a lot of things that she had been wanting to do that Dave had said no to. A smile slowly started to appear on her face. 

- 6 months later - 

"Meow" 

"I know Lexi, isn't it nice?" Nina said as she placed Lexi on the ground of her new apartment. 

Lexi meowed again and ran over to jump on the wagging tail of their new puppy, Westie.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest best friends." Nina said. 

Suddenly she heard a knock at the door. 

"I wonder who that could be." Nina thought out loud as she went to answer it.

She opened the door to find a tall dark haired stranger. "Hi!" she said, "Can I help you?"

"I'm sorry this is so random!" he said, "my name is Fred, I moved here last week. I am desperately trying to find where everything is in this city. I was hoping I could ask you if you know any good bookshops near by?"

"Oh, I'm afraid I won't be much help in that area!" Nina said, "I just finished moving in my last moving box today!"

"You just moved hear too?" Fred asked surprised.

"Yes! I don't know where anything is either..." Nina said laughing "which is probably an issue because I'm getting hungry and don't have any groceries yet!"

"I'm starving myself" Fred said, "maybe we could go do some exploring since it's such a nice day outside today?"

"I would love that!" Nina exclaimed. "Where do you want to go?"

"How about you pick?" Fred said.

Nina stopped. Smiled. Then said "Sure, I would like that."

Nina and Lexi
Source: http://iereadingguides.blogspot.com/2015/05/week-1-of-1-paleys-sita-sings-blues-b.html






I just really wanted things to end up okay for Nina. Dave was awful and selfish and really took her for granted! I liked this ending more because Fred sounds like a hunk who actually has a kind heart and hair unlike Dave. I just picked up where the story had Dave breaking up with her over email and then changed everything else after that. 

Sita Sings the Blues
Nina Paley








4 comments:

  1. Hey Trini,
    I really enjoyed reading your story this week. I agree with you, I really didnt like how the story ended for Dave and Nina. Dave was not very fair to Nina when he broke up with her and took her for granted. I love that Nina moved to a new city and started over with her new job and that she got another pet that was just hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trini! This is a great story you wrote! I watched this movie and I wanted to write a story about it I just could not figure out how! So I admire your ability to write a great story from watching that movie. I also agree with you that Dave was incredibly selfish and I was no fan of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi~
    Thanks for writing your story! It was short and sweet, perfect for the content. I really liked Nina Paley's movie and am happy to see someone wrote a story around it. I saw a super minor typo, towards the end Fred asks if she just moved here too, the 'here' needs a tiny change. Otherwise everything looks good! It read like a sweet romantic comedy. I look forward to reading more as the semester continues!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hello! That is a cute story you made! Sad that Dave had to be selifish and control what she could do with her life. When I think of Dave, it reminded me of the Netflix series called, You. When Fred knocks on her door and he’s asking for recommendations. Maybe add more details about Dave and Nina since they were together for five years! I enjoyed the dialogue too so it made it easier to read.

    ReplyDelete

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...