Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Reading Week 9 Part A-B Mahabharata

I really liked this retelling of the Mahabharata. There were a lot of reasons why it was so great but I think a lot of what made them so great was there short length. When I first started them I was a little frustrated with how short each one seemed. However, as we made our way through the videos I realized that I was understanding them a lot faster than I normally do because they are broken up into easier to understand chunks. It also was so beneficial to have the video aspect because the drawings helped me to keep the characters separated better than when I was reading about them. I felt like I got a lot more lost on the characters when I was reading the stories of the Mahabharata vs when I was reading the Ramayana. In this section of videos everything is discussed from Bhishma's birth along with his brothers all the way to Ekalavya's story of how he became the amazing archer he was. His story was that he went to Drona and asked him to be his guru long ago. Drona refused and Ekalavya's determination led him to create a statue of Drona that he practiced in front of from that day forward. He worked very hard and became the best. Drona asked him to cut off his right thumb to lessen his abilities and Ekalavya did it, ending his legendary skills. 

Mahabharata



Depiction of Ekalavya cutting his thumb
Source: Wikipedia https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekalavya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...