Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Week 7 Story

          Bhima knew that he could never defeat Drona while Drona still believed Ashwatthaman was alive. He quickly came up with a plot to fool Drona into believing that Ashwatthaman was dead. Bhima went out and found an elephant named Ashwatthaman and he killed it, this way he could exclaim that Ashwatthaman was dead and fool Drona. Bhima went to where Drona was and shouted many times that Ashwatthaman was dead.

          However, Drona refused to believe this news immediately. Wisely, Drona went to Yudhishthira because he knew that he was incapable of telling anything but the truth. Once there, he asked Yudhishthira if it was true and he confirmed the news.

          "Ashwatthaman is dead!" Drona heard Yudhishthira say three times, but what he didn't hear was "the elephant" after each Ashwatthaman. Drona was fooled by this trick and was deeply saddened. His son was so much of his reason for living, he felt the energy leaving his body slowly the more he fell into his own thoughts. Drona was so distraught from the news that he completely forgot about his divine weapons, sat down in front of his own chariot, and laid down his weapons. Seizing this opportune moment, the Pandava general Dhrishtadyumna found his sword and started towards Drona. He had planned on defeating Drona in one to one combat. Strangely though, before he even had the chance the sky appeared to have two suns for a moment. These weren't able to stop the attack though and Dhrishtadyumna's sword came down on Drona and cut off his head. The moment it was cut, both Drona's head and body slowly disappeared into the Earth.


Ashwattaman the Elephant
Source: Wikipedia, Ashwatthama

Author's Note

          I think I liked this story so much because I like when people use trickery in these stories. It makes them so much more interesting even if it is kind of sad for whoever is getting tricked. I tried to stay true to the original story line so I didn't change any of the plot but instead wrote it in my own words instead. The only thing I changed was at the end I made Drona's head and body disappear back into the Earth because it seemed slightly less gruesome than his head being tossed back into the thick of things. 

PDE Mahabharata: Death of Drona

SourceMyths of the Hindus and Buddhists by Sister Nivedita (1914)




5 comments:

  1. Hi Trini!
    I think it is so cool that you wrote your story over this part in the Mahabharata. I almost wrote my story over this section too. And yes, I do also agree that throwing a decapitated head at a crowd of people is very gruesome and distasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trini! I liked how you tried to stay true to the original story by retelling it in your own words. With that being said, I do agree that it was gruesome to have a head thrown around like a ball. Furthermore, I really liked how you changed that part of the story by having the head and body disappear back into the earth to make it more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trini,

    Like you, one element that has always caught my attention in the stories is trickery. They always leave a big impression on me. Maybe I'm just too cynical, or I'm just afraid of being tricked. I always appreciate the messages that are left with these stories.

    I really enjoyed the story; I wish there were a bit more detail, but it is still great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Trini! I liked how you stayed true to the original story and told us what you changed. It is pretty disturbing that the head was throw in the crowd. So, what happened to the head that appeared on earth? I am curious! Anyways, good job! I hope to read more of your story soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a good story to retell. Since it's a standalone story I wish you'd given us descriptions or a small tiny bit of background as to why Bhima wants to defeat Drona. I agree the original ending was gruesome, you definitely made it more PG-13. Poor Drona, such a silly trick that he didn't hear Yud say "the elephant" any of the three times he heard him talk.

    ReplyDelete

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...