Thursday, February 21, 2019

StoryLab TEDed Videos: Language

How languages evolve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI&index=2&list=PLrWYQjLLbXchDJp7Z_BzshUOT7tuk845Q


This video was interesting to me because it briefly discussed the story of the tower of Babel. I have heard this story many times in church and I always wondered about its credibility. The credibility is still unknown but it's an interesting theory that's fun to think about. I didn't realize how complicated languages were until I watched this video. For instance, I didn't know that Chinese had so many different dialects and that two people who speak "Chinese" but with very different dialects can often times not understand each other enough to communicate. I have seen a very small part of this in the Spanish that I have studied throughout my life. Mostly, I see it when we look at how some countries use the "vosotros" form like in Spain. In Latin America people do not use the vosotros form.

Where do new words come from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytr28t5VzAs&list=PLrWYQjLLbXchDJp7Z_BzshUOT7tuk845Q&index=5

A lot of times words are borrowed from other cultures. Especially if that thing being described was brought over by that culture. Software is used across the world although it was originated as English. Another way is if multiple words that are already known are mixed together to create a new word. Often times this is easy for a native speaker to piece together new meaning on their own. Sometimes a word isn't new at all, it is just an old word that has been forgotten and is being brought back to use now in present time. Villain used to meant peasant farmer then it started to mean someone not bound by the knightly code. Sometimes words take on completely opposite meaning if they are used with irony or something similar. For instance, sick and wicked have come to mean things more like amazing.

Representation of the Tower of Babel from How Languages Evolve
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI&index=2&list=PLrWYQjLLbXchDJp7Z_BzshUOT7tuk845Q




No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Reading Extra Credit Week 14

Big surprise that I wanted to read more Jataka stories! I love the Jataka stories. They are still my favorite out of all the stories I have ...